by Chef Jonathan Waxman
1 whole chicken, 3 pounds (or buy 2 thighs, 2 legs and 2 breasts - skin on)
1 cup chicken broth
12 cloves garlic
1 whole white onion
2 + 2 ounces Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
2 ripe tomatoes
2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces unsalted butter Directions
1. Cut chicken into 2 thighs, 2 legs and 2 breasts. Season with sea salt and fresh pepper.
2. Peel onion and dice. Core tomatoes and dice.
3. In a heavy casserole pan, heat 2 ounces olive oil, when medium hot, add the chicken pieces, skin down and brown all over. Remove chicken and add the garlic, onions and tomato. Cook for 4 minutes.
4. Add 2 ounces Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, deglaze casserole and then turn off heat. Add the chicken back into casserole and add 1 cup chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then quickly lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook on low for 45 minutes. Assure that there is always about 3/4 cup liquid in casserole, add more broth if not.
5. When chicken is cooked, remove to a warm platter.
6. Liquid in casserole should be about 1/2 cup, if more, raise heat to reduce. Scrape any solids that have adhered to bottom.
When reduced, add 2 ounces Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, and 2 ounces butter, whisk into sauce. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Then pour the sauce with whole garlic over chicken.
Serve with fresh egg noodles cooked with butter and Parmigiano Reggiano.
250 grams fresh fettuccine with egg
3 ounces butter - diced
2 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
In a pot, add 3 quarts cold water, bring to a boil, add 1 tablespoon sea salt.
When boiling, add fettuccine
When cooked, strain noodles, then place back in the pot, add butter. Season, then add cheese. Stir well and serve with chicken.